Avoiding the complicated world. Easy life and easy listening. Pipe and slippers, fine cheeses and a generous glass of port.

Friday, June 03, 2005

Crazy for the Doctor

aliens
I'm sure that in the 1970s there was always a Doctor Who exhibition on at Longleat. The good old Marquis of Bath - an obvious Who fan. But I never went to any - always too far away, always far too expensive...

Bank Holiday weekend and we are on a family visit to Brighton. There is a Doctor Who exhibition on the pier! I try to talk my six year old daughter into the idea as we walk towards it. Of course, there are no real aliens! We get to the doors, the Doctor Who music wafts out towards us and this is enough to scare her. We turn back.
Things WERE different in the 1970s. Children weren't allowed to go to Doctor Who exhibitions because they were too far away and far too expensive. On Brighton pier I see blokes in their thirties dragging their children in.

Later in the day, I sneak back and go round on my own. The huge dome that houses the exhibition seems much smaller on the inside. At five pounds entry, it really is too expensive.

There are no real aliens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home