Avoiding the complicated world. Easy life and easy listening. Pipe and slippers, fine cheeses and a generous glass of port.

Monday, April 17, 2006

Since You've Been Gone

Our annual assault on the garden today. Being a Bank Holiday, what more could you possibly do? Well, I deliberately tried to squeeze some other things in.
Realising that port and cigars were out of the question, I set about solving the riddle of 'the old photograph' this Easter weekend. We bought a new scanner on Saturday. We also bought a new Dyson. Both were surprisingly quick purchases, but something went wrong after that. Fired with success, we set out to buy a mop and became indecisive. The mop buying took hours and I know why. Unlike the scanner and the Dyson, there were no experts on hand to guide us.

There was no expert on hand to guide me in how to install the scanner when we got home with it. Almost an entire day later I'd only just managed to scan in the 'old photograph'. This is a picture of a man in First World War uniform standing with a woman and a small boy. I found it amongst my aunt's papers when she died and I have no idea who the people in the picture are.

I emailed the picture to my 'lost relatives', the ones who found me on Genes Reunited. Within a few hours I had discovered that the photograph was taken in 1917. The soldier is my great uncle Arthur, on leave from the war, with his wife and son. The parents and brother of my father's cousin, now 88 years old, and who's existence I've only known about for a short time (but that's another story).

Anyway, I made an old lady happy, and all in a shorter time than buying a couple of household items.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home