Avoiding the complicated world. Easy life and easy listening. Pipe and slippers, fine cheeses and a generous glass of port.

Saturday, September 17, 2005

In Films

sad
In films at the moment Guy Ritchie's new film is getting something of a pasting. I am quite pleased, I have always disliked him. on the other hand, Roman Polanski's new version of 'Oliver Twist' is receiving some excellent reviews. I can't wait to see it.

Watched my two last DVDs for the month back to back, and they couldn't have been more different. 'Harold and Maude', which is another film I haven't seen for over twenty years, and 'Gangster No 1.'

'Harold and Maude' hasn't dated brilliantly, and the wacky comedy wasn't as amusing as I'd remembered it being, although Bud Cort and Ruth Gordon were both excellent. My wife criticised the Cat Stevens soundtrack, but I really liked it, especially the main theme song. The message of the film, which I read as commenting on the end of 60s idealism, where Maude dies and Harold begins to embrace life, still worked for me. There is also one or two fantastic scenes. One where they stand in a graveyard full of pure white headstones and the camera pulls back until they become lost amongst them. In another, Harold notices a series of numbers tattooed on Maude's arm, which I took to be a concentration camp number.He says nothing, just puts his arm around her. A great piece of acting.

scary'Gangster No 1.' is one of the best British films I've seen of its kind for years. Excellent performances from Paul Bettany, who I'm not familiar with, Jamie Foreman (the new Bill Sykes, apparently) and Eddie Marsan (from 'Vera Drake'). I thought David Thewlis was slightly miscast as the head villain, and I wondered if anyone else could have done the Malcolm McDowell role (perhaps James Fox, doing an older version of his 'Performance' role). Slight gripes aside, it's an excellent film with one or two quite compelling scenes (thanks to Bettany's mesmerising performance).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home