Avoiding the complicated world. Easy life and easy listening. Pipe and slippers, fine cheeses and a generous glass of port.

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Mr Blue Sky

Fairly early mornings all this week, although leaving the house at eight isn't so bad this time of year. A local headmaster told me that he'd been up at five marking reports, so I shouldn't complain.

You get older and getting up gets easier. Lying in becomes a thing of the past.

I asked my wife for a digital radio for my birthday next week. I've started listening to a lot of Radio 6 as an alternative to Radio 2, at least when Tony Christie isn't blaring out. When it's my turn to pick up our daughter from school, I always catch the end of Steve Wright's oldies and there are some oldies I'm sick to death of. I really never want to hear 'New song' by Howard Jones again. Typically, Radio 2 have also started playing 'In the summertime' by Mungo Jerry a lot.

So I asked my wife for a digital radio for my birthday next week and she says 'but you've already got a digital radio'. It takes ages to go through it all, how our current radios are non-digital, and how, yes, I do listen to digital radio through the internet but people keep coming into the room and saying 'what are you doing? What are you doing?'

We research digital radios and I'm beginning to lose the argument. They appear very small and are very expensive. I am unable to answer the question 'can you listen to it in the car?' I can only explain that I'm listening to Radio 6 now as an alternative to golden oldies on Radio 2. I'm thinking hard about alternative presents, but the only other things I need are a new car and a new watchstrap.

In one last ditch attempt, I drive to The Mall to look at digital radios. Up close, they are extremely small and are very expensive. I pick up a very small amount of literature to take home and read. It isn't clear if you can listen to them in the car or not.

Back at home, I sit down in the 1950s chair and start to read my literature, then reach over to switch on Radio 6 through the internet. Bizarrely, in almost the middle of June, they are playing the golden oldie 'Driving home for Christmas'.

Radio 2, all is forgiven.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home