Avoiding the complicated world. Easy life and easy listening. Pipe and slippers, fine cheeses and a generous glass of port.

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Nobody for Tennis

I am deadly serious
Another year has almost gone by with me missing the entire Wimbledon fortnight.

How is this? It now goes by like a flash, although it seemed to drag on forever when I was a child. It can't just be to do with age, although it won't be soon before I am going to be older than the parents of rising Wimbledon stars.

I used to watch entire matches, lounging in front of the television for whole afternoons of tennis. I remember once watching until light stopped play. More recently I have only caught a game at the most, perhaps only a point, as I passed through from one job to another.

Now the jobs are too plentiful to even pause for tennis. Tonight we were getting ready for my stint helping out with the local Woodcraft Folk, although it didn't go according to plan. We were late because I had agreed to water the 300 flowers next door; in the car it started to rain outside and by the time we got to the allotments the few still there were worn, wet and depressed. The Woodcraft leader handed out some broad beans and we made our way home. Outside now, the rain and lightning continues.

Bring back the June heat and scorched court grass. I long to see it one day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home