Avoiding the complicated world. Easy life and easy listening. Pipe and slippers, fine cheeses and a generous glass of port.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Seeing is Believing

Everywhere I turn I see Gordon Ramsay. Even repeats of 'Room 101' are featuring him.
sea mischief
Phoned the cleaner and told him we'd be laying him off for a while. I was worrying about how to approach it but I think he sounded quite relieved. Imagine Gordon Ramsey having such qualms, I expect he's hiring and firing all the time. My wife appeared to be more upset about my actions than I'd expected. We'd been discussing the ins and outs of it for weeks. I'm sure she still doesn't rate my cleaning prowess. Gave the kitchen a good going over just to prove my good intentions. I may have to work quite hard these first few tentative weeks. She must see the fruits of my labour.

My daughter wants a cat and I can't put her off any more. The foxes in the garden have gone now, so no danger there, and by September we will be back from our holidays. Until then she'll have to make do with the sea monkeys, horrible things that they are.

I remember seeing the adverts in American comics for tiny sea creatures that apparently came to life when you added powder to water. It was as simple as that. The creatures, or sea monkeys, were always depicted in cartoon form, smiling and waving at you.

We received a sachet of powder, some sea monkey food and a tiny tank for, weirdly, an Easter present. We added water to the tank, poured in the powder and sat back to wait. To be honest, I didn't expect anything and was ready to throw the water away when I noticed something tiny zig-zagging up and down in the water. Since then we have had several generations of sea monkeys swimming around.

What to do with them? I don't know. Buy a bigger tank or feed them to the cat.

Watched 'Elephant' on DVD. A truly bizarre and astonishing film, if such words are allowed to be used together. Up until now I'd never cared much for Gus Van Sant, but this gets the thumbs up from me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home