Avoiding the complicated world. Easy life and easy listening. Pipe and slippers, fine cheeses and a generous glass of port.

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

A Blog is for Life

During my time as a sixth former in the 1980s we had a visitor at school who lectured us on his predictions for the future. Apparently, within 20 years or so we would all be hooked up to computers in our homes where we would be able to communicate with one another, read the news from our screens and even publish our own thoughts for others to read. I have always remembered this as, although 20 years on seemed an eternity away, I did not doubt the gentleman's predictions. It just all sounded so horrible...

So here we are. I'm certainly hooked up to a computer a lot of the time, and I'm reading the news and publishing my thoughts but it's not so horrible as I've also got a young child, a nice house, I go on lots of holidays and I'm enjoying the latest Harry Potter. The gentleman predicted only some of the future.

It is true that I have almost given up television these days. On the plus side, the pursuit of blogging takes up time otherwise used up by other pursuits such as watching Big Brother. On the minus, there is the danger of becoming obsessed with your blog. If I don't tend to it every day I get a worried feeling which, when you think about it, is completely mad.

Questions also surround this strange activity. How long to keep up your blog? Why not change it completely every so often, like you would give a website a makeover? Who is supposed to read your blog? Who is reading it? Perhaps nobody, where the appearance of '0 comments' becomes commonplace. How often to post on your blog? And so on.

Wonder what the clever gentleman is doing these days. Probably nothing to do with computers at all, he's already foreseen what's coming next. And he won't be telling us on a blog.

Oh well, time to press on with Harry Potter.

Posted by Beaky. 9.30 pm. O comments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home