Avoiding the complicated world. Easy life and easy listening. Pipe and slippers, fine cheeses and a generous glass of port.

Monday, July 11, 2005

Holiday Reading

Selected my holiday reading today. Inevitably it was a 3 for 2 offer and I went for Alan Hollinghurst's 'In the Line of Beauty', William Sutcliffe's 'Bad influence' and Neil Jordan's 'Shade' after holding several dozen other combinations of three. Standing in Waterstone's I realised that my mouth had started to bleed, which was bizarre although luckily I avoided a 'blood on books' incident.

Finished Jonathan Coe's 'The Closed Circle' and I take back what I said about it. From about halfway through I really enjoyed it. Very poignant writing about sinking into middle age and how the past haunts you, especially one's formative years.

Heatwave is on, which is a good thing if you enjoy either wearing or the spotting of unusual hats. A man was walking into Tescos today in a huge straw hat without a care in the world. I can't talk myself, as I have been wearing an explorer-type hat in sunnier moments. I suspect that my wife doesn't approve, as she keeps saying "where is that nice hat I bought you?"
hats
An example of a hat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home