Avoiding the complicated world. Easy life and easy listening. Pipe and slippers, fine cheeses and a generous glass of port.

Friday, July 01, 2005

In the Summertime

bygones
To be honest with you, I haven't been following all this Live 8 business too closely.

I have a vague idea of who is playing. U2 I imagine and did I hear Coldplay? is Phil Collins doing all of the drumming again?

I guess I will watch it, or as much as I can between other things. Not with the enthusiasm of Live Aid 20 years ago where I even sat through Sade, Howard Jones and the strange Bob Dylan appearance.

Radio 2 still continue to play Mungo Jerry, and even had a competition about them this morning. Why? I think because Richard Allison was on, the annoying DJ who is only ever on when the usual DJs are on holiday (so he is in full employment this time of year). He seems to belong to an earlier era of radio, based on painful jokes and tunes that were considered oldies in 1976.

An image kept entering my mind of Dave Lee Travis wrestling with a fellow DJ on Top of the Pops, either Jimmy Saville or Noel Edmonds. Writing this, I managed to find the image just by looking it up on Google.

Now, does anybody remember Jimmy Saville doing an unusual dance whilst dressed as Father Christmas, accompanying most probably Slade. I bet it's preserved out there if you dare look. Such is the power of the internet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home